Disinfecting Personal Electronic Devices
We’re disinfecting tables, counters, door handles, switches, practically everything, but what about your cell phone, tablet, computer, or other electronic devices? Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch areas have become an essential common practice nowadays. Our mobile devices and personal computers are constantly being touched and they should be cleaned regularly – even in more traditional times.
Here are some general guidelines to follow when cleaning your electronics:
- Unplug the device from all external power sources
- Use a lint-free cloth – such as a microfiber cloth
- Avoid using leather or other cloths while cleaning as they can cause scratches
- Do not use bleach, aerosol sprays, abrasive cleaners
- Avoid excessive wiping or submerging your devices in cleaners
- Ensure that moisture doesn’t get into any openings on the device
- Wipe down all surfaces (screen, keyboard, mouse or trackpad)
- Follow the contact time listed on the product’s label to ensure that you have fully disinfected the device
Not all cleaners are equal when it comes to cleaning electronics and disinfecting for COVID-19. As mentioned above, do not use bleach or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the electronics. It’s best to use household disinfectant wipes (i.e., Clorox, Lysol, etc.) or wipes with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Isopropyl alcohol is a case where more is not better. 70% alcohol is approved for disinfecting for COVID-19 and other germs, anything higher than that will evaporate before it can disinfect the electronics.
Further information about disinfecting and cleaning can be found on the CDC’s website here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cleaning-disinfection.html
For more helpful information, tips, tricks and the latest industry news, check out our News section of our website. If you’d like to set up a discussion around any of the items from this article, or to talk about other ways to help keep your company safe and productive, please e-mail email@example.com or call us at 1-877-843-9611.